My blog today is dedicated to my awesome cousin, David Pitsenbarger. My cousin one of the strongest, courageous, positive men I know. You see, today David is celebrating his son, Braydon's, two year anniversary of "receiving his wings." His son, Braydon, died of Cystic Fibrosis two years ago today, when he was 15 years old. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Braydon. You see, up until six months ago, I didn't have the pleasure of knowing David. A year ago, I did some soul searching (key word "searching") and then went on a search for family. I found David six months ago and within moments of my message to him, his response followed -- immediately accepting and loving. He remembered me! And from that date on, he has filled the role of surrogate big brother to me. He harasses me endlessly, checks in daily, and gives me support, encouragement and advice. Aside from my wonderful husband, he is the most giving husband and father I know. So, today, on Braydon's anniversary, I honor my cousin. He has lost two children to CF. He has a son at home, Toby, who has CF. Yet, EVERY DAY, EVERY TIME we text, email, facebook, live chat or talk on the phone, his glass is always half full!
I could not imagine the pain of losing a child -- never, even in my worst nightmares, could I imagine going through that. And not once, but twice. And, yet, he doesn't give up or give in -- doesn't give in to complaints, negativity. We communicate daily -- and have done so for the last six months -- and I have heard him say only once that he was tired! He is always happy. Yes, he misses his son. Yes, he has his problems, but he plows through them. He feels the feelings and then moves on. He pours all his energy into his family -- his beautiful wife and kids, who are also super amazing. He obviously has passed his wonderful view of life on to them. I think about him all the time, when I am down and feeling sorry for myself. I think how he just doesn't. He takes what life has given him and he deals. He lives and he enjoys and he loves. He is super honest, super forgiving, and if he thinks for even one moment that he has hurt your feelings, he remedies it immediately. He is the man all men should be. As I stated, I am blessed enough to be married to an amazing man, but how wonderful for me to also be blessed with another strong, faithful, wonderful caring man in the form of my cousin.
And when I asked why he would have a three-day weekend this weekend, he advised that the entire family will be taking the day off. To do what, you may ask? To celebrate! To celebrate the life of Braydon! To visit him at the cemetery, go out and do fun stuff all day in his memory, be happy and relive all their memories of him! Have you ever heard anything so amazingly wonderful and positive? I am sure Braydon is smiling down on his daddy today, as he does everyday! I told David the other day when I grow up, I wanna be like him! :) He takes no credit, of course, always humble (unless he is ruthlessly harassing me) and says he's just a man who loves his family. And that he is. But he's something else. He could have so easily throw in the towel, and it would have been excusable and understandable. He could have given in to all the negative feelings that I am sure go along with a traumatic event such as the loss of a child. But, instead, he lives -- for his family, for his son. I told him he has taken the road less traveled and he needs to be proud of himself; a lot of us would not have been able to do so. He's my big brother, my cousin, and my friend.
So, Pits, I raise my full glass (not half full, completely full -- overflowing full) to you. You are a shining example to us all and I love you, brat! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment